The main physics Web server is Windows Server 2003-based. It hosts the top level physics pages in addition to complete sub-webs for other groups and sub-departments. There are also several older Unix-based Web servers within the department, although use of the Windows Server is encouraged because:
- A consistent style and navigation can be maintained across the site (see Templates).
- Security can be more tightly controlled on a centrally managed system.
- We can be certain of meeting legal requirements on the accessibility of websites.
For more information about departmental Web servers and advice on Web publishing and applications, please contact the physics webmaster.
User home directories are located at www.physics.ox.ac.uk/users/<username>. Any member of the department who wishes to publish personal pages should email the physics webmaster to arrange to have their directory created and configured for their individual needs. More information about User Areas can be found here.
Server Side Programming
The main physics Web server supports several server-side programming and scripting languages, including:
- Active Server Pages (ASP) 3.0
- ASP.NET 1.1
- PHP 5
- Server Side Includes (SSI)
Please contact the physics webmaster to discuss your requirements before embarking upon any project using any of these extensions (which may be disabled in your user / group area by default anyway).
Other server side technologies can be added to the server if required but please note that PERL and Java are not available under any circumstances.
Please contact the physics webmaster if you wish to:
- Limit access to a directory to a particular set of users
- Restrict access to a directory to visitors outside physics or outside the University
- Require a secured (SSL) connection to all pages within a directory