This is an exciting opportunity for students to take part in an International Masterclass in Particle Physics. Students will learn more about Particle Physics with Oxford researchers and gain insight into topics and methods of research relating to matter and forces. They will perform measurements on real data from the ATLAS experiment and participate in a video conference to discuss the results.
Students will have the opportunity to:
- Learn how we use particle detectors at the Large Hadron Collider to explore the Universe.
- Study the Z particle and identify its signature in data from the ATLAS experiment.
- Work with Oxford particle physicists and join other students in a video conference with CERN to present the results.
The event will run on two days. Please choose from one of the following on the booking form:
- Date 1: Monday 27 March 2022, 8.45am-4.30pm (in person)
- Date 2: Tuesday 28 March 2022, 8.45am-4.30pm (online)
The International Masterclass in Particle Physics is open to students aged 16-17 years who are:
- In Year 12 (the first year of your A-level studies)
- Studying Physics AND Maths A-level (or equivalent)
- Enthusiastic about particle physics
- Interested in pursuing physics at a higher level
Additionally, we may prioritise applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- You live in an area with a low rate of progression to higher education or a high level of socio-economic deprivation.
- You attend a non-fee paying state school
- You identify as female and attend a mixed sex school or college.
There are a limited number of applications available for this course. We may also cap applications from individual schools to five students to ensure we can open it up to more students who are particularly enthusiastic about particle physics.
Please complete an expression of interest form.
We will send you the full application form after we receive the expression of interest.