Skip to main content
HIGH ENERGY FRONTIER
- ATLAS (2014-present). Bortoletto’s group made significant contributions to the discovery of H→bb and the EFT interpretation of the result. Search for additional Higgs-like bosons decaying to H→ZZ→2l2ν and studies of the Higgs width. Contributions to improvements in the missing energy and the calibration of high momentum b tagging.
- CMS (2008-2014) Search, discovery, and study of the Higgs Boson at CMS in H->ZZ ->4l. Bortoletto’s group contributed to increasing the efficiency for low momentum electrons for the Higgs discovery in 2012. Studies of the Higgs width using off-shell production of H→ZZ→2l2ν. Searches for additional Higgs-like bosons decaying to H→ZZ→2l2ν. Searches for invisible Higgs decays in ZH ->2l+ missing transverse energy.
- CDF (1992-present) Searches for the Higgs, single top and Super Symmetric particles in final states with missing transverse energy and b-quarks. Coordinator of the missing energy and heavy quarks subgroup of the CDF Higgs discovery group from 2008 to 2012. The results of Bortoletto’s group on ZH→νν ̅bb ̅ contributed to the first evidence for Higgs boson decaying to H→bb ̅ from the TEVATRON and the first measurement of single top production. Searches for dark matter in events with single top and missing transverse energy. Searches for chargino-neutralino associated production in final states with 3 leptons and missing energy. Measurement of the top quark decaying into dileptons for the discovery of the top quark in 1995. Searches for new particles decaying into b-tagged di-jets. Measurements of B meson differential cross-section.
- CLEO (1982-1989) Semileptonic B decayse and the measurement of the Cabibbo-Kobayashi-Maskawa matrix element Vcb .
- ATLAS (2014-present) Bortoletto established with Shipsey the Oxford Particle Physics Microstructure Detector (OPMD) Laboratory, which is one of the UK centers for the assembly of the pixel detector modules for the HL-LHC.
- Mu3e(2017-present) Development of novel ultra-low mass CMOS HVMAPs pixel tracker silicon sensor ladders to search for 𝜇→3e charged lepton flavor violating decays.
- CMS (1996-2014) Construction of the CMS FPiX silicon pixel detector. Bortoletto was the level 3 manager for the design and testing of the sensors, the testing of readout chip (ROC), and the integration of the ROC to the sensors with bump bonding. Bortoletto’s group played also a critical role in the commissioning and operation of FPiX.
- CDF (1992-2006) Construction of the CDF SVX silicon strip detector and development of the sensors, including the fabrication of six-inch sensors. Bortoletto’s group contributed significantly to the operation of SVXII.
- R&D on radiation hard depleted CMOS detectors 3D and planar sensors for the High luminosity LHC (HL-LHC)
- Establishment of the Purdue Particle Physics Microstructure Development (P3MD) facility at Purdue University, which contains two fully equipped clean rooms for the design, testing and assembly of detectors for High Energy Physics.
- National and International Conferences
- “New Development in Silicon Pixel Detectors”, FCC-ee-Workshop, CERN , Jan 2019 and 1st MUonE Collaboration Meeting, CERN, March 2019
- “Detector R&D”, Plenary, ICHEP, Seoul, July 2018.
- Plenary Summary Tracking Detector”, Workshop on the CEPC – EU Edition, Rome, May 2018
- Search for non-standard, rare or invisible decays of the Higgs boson with the ATLAS detector, SUSY2017, Mumbai, India, 2017
- “Depleted CMOS Detectors”, IOP Half Day Meeting, IOP, London, October 2017
- “Depleted CMOS Detectors”, High Energy Physics Conference, Institute for Advanced Studies, Honk Kong University of Science and Technology, Honk Kong, January 2017
- “Summary Talk”, Vertex 2016, Elba, Italy, September 2016
- “Physics and Detectors for the LHC Upgrades”, Institute of Physics Particle, Astroparticle, and Nuclear Physics groups Conference 2015, Manchester, April 2015
- “Measurements of the Higgs boson mass, width, and spin at the LHC”, Phenomenology 2014 Symposium, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, USA, May 2014.
- “Colloquium: Instrumentation”, CSS 2013, Snowmass on the Mississippi, Minneapolis St. Paul, July 2013.
- “Challenges for Instrumentation at the Energy Frontier”, Joint CPAD and Instrumentation Frontier Community Meeting, Argonne National Laboratory, January 2013.
- “Higgs Searches at CMS: Observation of a narrow resonance near 125 GeV”, SLAC Topical conference, SLAC, July 2012. “Searches for the Standard Model Higgs Boson at the Tevatron”, Moriond QCD, Lathuile, Italy, March 2012.
SEMINARS AND COLLOQUIA
- “Silicon Detectors: Discoveries in Particle Physics and Future Challenges”, University of Warwick, 2018
- “The LHC: exploring the frontiers of fundamental physics”, University of Cardiff, Colloquium, April 2016
- .“From Hybrid Pixels to CMOS Devices for the LHC Camera”, Workshop and Advancement in Circuits and Electronics, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, Oxford, September 2015.
- “The Physics reach of the LHC upgrades and the detectors needed to unveil it”, Seminar, Royal Holloway University, May 2015.
- “The Higgs boson and Particle Physics at the LHC: a Progress Report and Plans for the Future”, Colloquium, Trinity College Dublin, November 2015
- “The Higgs boson and Particle Physics at the LHC: a Progress Report and Plans for the Future”, Colloquium, University of Oxford, February 2015
- “The Higgs Boson”, US ATLAS Physics Workshop, University of Washington, August 2014
- “The discovery of a new particle. Is it the Higgs?”, Colloquium, Case Western Reserve, University, Cleveland, May, 2013.
- The importance of silicon detectors in Higgs studies”, Seminar, University of Minnesota, November 2012.
- “The importance of silicon detectors in Higgs studies”, Seminar, Manchester University, UK, November 2012.
- “Higgs searches from the Prairies to the Alps”, Colloquium, Washington University, March 2012.
- “Higgs searches from the Prairies to the Alps”, Colloquium Purdue University, April 2012.
- “Higgs searches at the high energy frontier”, Berkeley RPM, Berkeley, November 2011.